The John F. Wolfe Palm House and connecting Dorothy M. Davis Showhouse are the oldest portions of Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. The design of this grand Victorian-style glass greenhouse, built in 1895, was influenced by the success of Chicago’s World Fair and Columbian Exposition in 1893 and inspired by the City Beautiful movement
The Palm House highlights 43 species of palms from around the world, some of which are considered endangered and threatened in the wild. A must see when touring the Palm House is the Ficus lyrata, or Fiddle-leaf Fig. It’s one of the original trees planted in the Palm House.
The formal, tropical ambience of this Victorian structure makes it a popular site for weddings and social gatherings. Learn more about renting the Palm House here.