Job Summary: Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens seeks a full-time Beverage Supervisor to oversee the Conservatory’s special events beverage operations by creating menus, managing inventory, placing orders, maintaining relationships with outside vendors, and completing invoices while ensuring compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws/ordinances. The Supervisor also provides leadership to bartenders by administering employee training, providing timely feedback, and encouraging safe workplace practices. This role supports departmental and facility goals, mission, and values with a strong emphasis on customer service.
- Oversees beverage operations and serves as the point contact person when beverage questions/concerns arise.
- Creates and enforces operational systems, processes, policies, and procedures in support of the Conservatory’s bar operations.
- Monitors inventory of all beverage product and places orders on an ongoing basis.
- Manages beverage storage area, ensuring it is kept clean and organized.
- Fosters relationships with outside vendors to maximize their resources.
- Monitors current bar/drink trends and creates menus accordingly.
- Assists with the department’s budget process by providing recommendations, reporting budget concerns, reducing waste, and supporting compliance of budget initiatives.
- Works closely with special events staff to meet or exceed financial goals.
- Demonstrates and practices an understanding of economy and minimizes incorrect usage of resources.
- Monitors employee and guest activities to ensure compliance with all health and safety standards/regulations as well as all applicable beverage, federal, state, and local laws/ordinances.
- Communicates and works closely with Sales, Catering, and Facility Maintenance departments as they relate to the beverage operation.
- Promotes and practices safe workplace habits.
- Evaluates and resolves customer complaints.
- Provides support to Special Events team when necessary to execute events.
- Supervises and schedules bartending staff members to ensure adequate staffing for events.
- Establishes effective and positive communication amongst all team members.
- Provides guidance, administers training, and acts as a role model for team members, ensuring that all standard operating policies and procedures are maintained and followed.
- Works closely with Human Resources to recruit, hire, and onboard new bartenders as needed.
- Works with FOH Manager to stock Café and Food Truck with alcoholic beverages.
- Performs administrative tasks, in-house transfers, and beverage invoicing.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED; undergraduate degree in Hospitality, Restaurant Management, or similar field preferred.
- 2-3 years of supervisory or management experience in a café/restaurant environment.
- Minimum 2 years’ bar experience, including knowledge of mixed drinks and liquor laws.
- Familiarity with POS cash handling systems and StaffMate scheduling software preferred.
- 21 years’ of age or older.
- Availability to work a flexible and varying schedule that includes days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of restaurant operations and beverage functions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of basic computer programs including Microsoft Office applications.
- Expert customer service skills with the ability to present a positive, calm, and professional demeanor.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to diffuse high stress situations.
- Excellent leadership and training development skills.
- Ability to manage a team, delegate, resolve employee/customer complaints, and motivate others.
- Excellent organization and time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to sit/stand for several hours at a time and frequently lift, carry or otherwise move objects weighing up to 30 pounds, and occasionally up to 50 pounds.