Job Summary: Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens seeks a Butterflies and Animal Care Coordinator to oversee and support the care of the Conservatory’s animal and insect collection, including, but not limited to: Butterflies, Koi, and Monarchs. The Coordinator advances the annual Blooms & Butterflies exhibition’s interpretation, education, and interaction programs. This position is responsible for ordering chrysalises and exhibition related supplies, maintaining the Metamorphosis Lab, and implementing the guidelines set within the Conservatory’s USDA permit. The Butterflies and Animal Care Coordinator also assists with the development of related programs focused on pollinators, Ohio butterflies, and Monarch migration.
- Orders chrysalises and works with vendors across the world to bring forth the best selection of butterflies to enhance the exhibition year after year.
- Provides care for the insects on exhibit including but not limited to: inventory, pinning, capturing, cleaning, releasing, and feeding.
- Maintains a professional, high quality standard of insect and animal exhibit areas.
- Provides care for the Koi and conducts regular maintenance and cleaning responsibilities.
- Assists with development and execution of the insect and animal budget and is responsible for invoice tracking.
- Works with Human Resources and the Exhibitions and Collections Manager to recruit and interview seasonal staff members for the exhibition.
- Oversees and supports Animal Care Assistants, including scheduling, guidance, and training.
- Develops and leads volunteers, interns, and staff training for the Blooms & Butterflies exhibition.
- Provides daily formal and informal presentations to the public, including guided tours.
- Completes USDA required inventory and year-end reporting.
- Communicates USDA and Conservatory regulations with staff and public in a positive, educational manner.
- Produces and maintains manuals and records pertaining to feeding, water quality analysis, behavioral observations, medical procedures, and staff and volunteer interaction policies for the Koi and the Blooms & Butterflies exhibition.
- Cooperates with veterinarians on the Koi’s health, treatments, and veterinary procedures.
- Coordinates the Monarch Program by raising and overseeing monarch caterpillars through the metamorphosis process.
- Works with the Greenhouse Manger to order milkweed and other materials needed for the Monarchs.
- Collects and records data on the Monarchs through each stage of metamorphosis, and works with Monarch Watch to support their efforts of gathering data by tagging Monarchs in late summer through the fall.
- Works with Exhibitions and Collections Manager for the creation of interpretive signage and didactics related to the Blooms & Butterflies exhibition and the Monarch display.
- Supports the Horticulture and Exhibition Department’s ongoing plans and projects and assists with installation/de-installation of changing exhibitions.
- Performs other duties as assigned and demonstrates focus on serving the visitors and guests of the Conservatory
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology or related field
- 1-3 years related experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Experience with butterflies or insect care in a public organization
- Visitor interaction and interpretation experience
- Teaching and program development experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to plan and develop new programs related to the Blooms & Butterflies exhibition that are in line with the Conservatory’s mission and goals.
- Ability to balance substantial research with a wide variety of administrative and other related tasks.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact professionally and effectively with the public, volunteers, employees, and peer institutions.
- Ability to motivate others, handle multiple projects simultaneously, problem solve, and delegate duties.
- Ability to work within budgets and support revenue goals.
- Occasionally lifts, carries, or otherwise moves materials weighing up to 40 lbs to accomplish exhibition installations and maintenance.