Job Summary: Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens seeks a full-time Engineering Technician to provide a clean, safe and professional environment by conducting repair programs and maintaining Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens property and grounds. This role supports organizational goals, mission and values with strong emphasis on customer service.
- Performs regular ongoing equipment checks.
- Detects and diagnoses equipment problems and conducts in-house repairs.
- Verifies inventory of parts and maintains storage in all engineering areas.
- Administers and completes all work orders.
- Conducts periodic equipment audits to record equipment trouble spots and the lifespan of equipment.
- Supervises event/exhibit electrical load management during major fundraisers and events as requested.
- Performs seasonal tasks such as: winterizing and de-winterizing mechanical rooms and other equipment.
- Rotates schedule and serves “on call” when needed.
- Follows state and federal laws that address the safe use of equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned and demonstrates focus on serving the visitors and guests of the Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens.
- Associate’s Degree in a technical capacity or equivalent experience.
- 1-3 years of maintenance experience in the following: electrical, plumbing, HVACs, carpentry, mechanical, lighting, hot water boiler, and/or water features.
- Knowledge of mechanical systems.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Knowledge of software programs (Word, Windows and Excel).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to problem solve and diagnose malfunctions.
- Ability to maintain and work with all types of hand tools, power tools, machinery and equipment.
- Ability to be flexible and maintain a calm demeanor.
- Frequently lifts, carries or otherwise moves materials weighing up to 50lbs.
- Occasionally operates lifts and ladders to ascend plant canopy for maintenance.
- Works indoors and outdoors year round under a variety of conditions, including hot and cold temperatures, high humidity and wet weather, dark and wet, underground, elevated on catwalks and on lifts as well as in tight spaces and noisy areas.
- Effective communication skills.