Food and Beverage Supervisor
Job Summary: Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens seeks a full-time Food and Beverage Supervisor to lead the food service operations at both Conservatory Garden Café sites (Atrium and Children’s Garden). The Supervisor provides leadership to café staff members, assists with employee training, and encourages safe workplace practices. This role monitors and ensures exceptional service, food quality, and presentation. The Food and Beverage Supervisor acts as the Food and Beverage Manager in his or her absence.
- Performs all POS duties, including opening and closing procedures, as well as updating and maintaining POS functions.
- Supervises Café Cashiers in both Conservatory Garden Café sites (Atrium/Children’s Garden).
- Oversees café workflow and performs various café roles and duties when needed.
- Maintains a clean, organized and stocked environment.
- Monitors employee and guest activities to ensure alcohol service regulations are followed.
- Assists the Food and Beverage Manager with departmental scheduling to ensure the café is properly staffed at all times.
- Establishes effective and positive communication among all team members.
- Provides guidance, assists with training, and acts as a role model for team members, ensuring that all standard operating policies and procedures are maintained and followed.
- Adheres to and enforces merchandising and cleanliness standards.
- Promotes and practices safe workplace habits, reporting potential safety hazards, operational inconsistencies, and team member incidents to the Food and Beverage manager in a timely manner.
- Resolves customer complaints and reports them to the Food and Beverage Manager.
- Acts as the liaison between management and café staff members, as well as the Executive Chef and back-of-house team members.
- Works closely with the Food and Beverage Manager to meet or exceed financial goals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED; undergraduate degree in Hospitality, Restaurant Management, or similar field preferred.
- Minimum 1 year supervisory or management experience in a high volume café/restaurant environment.
- Experience with POS cash handling systems.
- 21 years’ of age or older.
- Availability to work a flexible and varying schedule that includes days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of restaurant operations, and food/beverage functions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Expert customer service skills with the ability to present a positive, calm, and professional demeanor.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to diffuse high stress situations.
- Excellent leadership and training development skills.
- Ability to manage a team, delegate, resolve employee/customer complaints, and motivate others.
- Excellent organization and time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to sit/stand for several hours at a time and frequently lift, carry or otherwise move objects weighing up to 30 pounds, and occasionally up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions as needed.