Job Summary: Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens seeks an On-Call Gaffer to narrate glass-blowing demonstrations while providing excellent customer service. The Gaffer preforms routine cleaning during and after demonstrations and classes, interacts with audience members and class participants, and produces top-quality, hand blown glass objects that are ready for resale.
- Works with the Gaffer Lead to maintain the upkeep of the Hot Shop by ensuring that the equipment, such as the furnace, annealers, and glory hole are in operating order.
- Monitors glass and supplies required for demonstrations and classes, and reports order needs to the Gaffer Lead.
- Maintains the appearance of the Hot Shop, and performs routine cleaning during and after each demonstration and class to maintain a safe area for visitors, participants, and clients.
- Advances the Hot Shop’s education and interpretation for visitors, and delivers daily formal and informal education to the public about the art of glassblowing, while producing hand blown objects.
- Delivers engaging, inspiring, and educational experiences while teaching Hot Shop classes, and assists participants create glass works in a safe environment.
- Supports the Gift Shop by providing them with well-crafted glass objects for resale.
- Supports the Special Events Department to provide them with glass and materials needed for Unity in Glass ceremonies.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in glassblowing or related field is preferred, but not required.
- 1 year experience teaching glassblowing classes and giving demonstrations in front of large groups of people.
- Experience with blowing glass in a public organization.
- Visitor interaction and interpretation experience.
- Basic computer skills including email, Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Available to work days, evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expert communication skills (written, verbal and presentation), including public speaking in front of large groups and engaging the visitor.
- Expert organization skills, resulting in completing tasks on time with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and visitor experience.
- Ability to establish good working relationships with fellow employees, volunteers, and visitors.
- Ability to meet the Conservatory’s standards regarding professionalism, appearance, and safety.
- Ability to occasionally lift, carry or otherwise move materials weighing up to 55 lbs.
- Demonstrates the core values and mission of the Conservatory.