Job Summary: Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens seeks a full-time Horticulture Technician to complete maintenance, documentation and improve plant collections and seasonal displays within available resources. The Horticulture Technician can work in a variety of areas to meet the needs and goals of the department, but will typically be assigned to the Children’s Garden/Interior Conservatory team. This role supports departmental and facility goals, mission, and values with a strong emphasis on customer service.
- Supports and administers maintenance programs, including irrigation, fertilization, pest and disease control, and pruning for efficient operation and improved horticulture practices in assigned area (Interior Conservatory, Botanical Gardens, or Horticulture Services)
- Monitors, reports, and treats pests, diseases, disorders and environmental concerns within the Integrated Pest Management program.
- Leads and trains volunteers, interns, and seasonal employees.
- Assists with installation and removal of seasonal flower displays.
- Performs garden maintenance duties including but not limited to: weeding, trimming, mulching, blowing, planting, and watering.
- Provides information to Plant Records Specialist regarding plant accessions, removals, transfers, and label requirements. Labels plants in a timely manner and assists with installation of signage.
- Supports snow removal duties in winter, requiring flexibility in scheduling.
- Interacts with the public, volunteers, employees, and peer institutions by answering questions, developing fact sheets, and leading tours.
- Researches and develops knowledge and identification of plant collections, specializing in assigned areas or collections.
- Ensures proper use and care of equipment and follows state and federal laws that address the safe use of equipment and the application, storage, and disposal of pesticides.
- Promptly observes and reports concerns regarding horticultural display or safety.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 1 year of related experience, including plant maintenance, plant identification and equipment use.
- Obtain and maintain a valid Ohio Certified Pesticide Applicator’s License within 6 months of employment.
- Knowledge of basic software programs (Microsoft Office Suite).
- Valid Driver’s License with the ability to provide own transportation to and from work sites if needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated written/verbal communication skills with the ability to comfortable perform public speaking.
- Ability to implement effective maintenance routines while maintaining high levels of detail.
- Ability to implement landscape and conservatory designs.
- Frequently operates and maintains tools and machinery such as pruners, saws, trimmers, trucks and sprayers to maintain collections.
- Frequently lifts, carries, or otherwise moves materials weighing up to 50lbs to accomplish plant installations and maintenance.
- Occasionally operates lifts and ladders to ascend plant canopy for maintenance.
- Works indoors and outdoors year-round under a variety of conditions, including hot and cold temperatures, high humidity, and wet weather.