Seasonal Children’s Garden Educator
Job Summary: Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens seeks Seasonal Children’s Garden Educators to oversee the daily operational tasks and educational programming that are part of the Children’s Garden. Program topics will focus on gardening, nature, art, plants, interactions’ between living organisms, environmental awareness, water, and more.
Under the direction of the Youth Program Coordinator:
- Implements and delivers creative and fun mission-based Children’s Garden activities.
- Serves as a role model and maintains the health, safety, and welfare of children and adults.
- Organizes and maintains all equipment, supplies, and Children’s Garden areas.
- Works cooperatively with volunteers, education staff and horticulture staff.
- Documents all accidents, injuries, incidents, complaints, and problems.
- Demonstrates a focus on serving the guests of the Children’s Garden, maintaining the highest standards of customer service.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school degree required, 1-4 years of Higher Education (college) is preferred with focus in horticulture, natural resources, environmental or art education, interpretive education, or early childhood development.
- 6 months related work experience.
- Knowledge of techniques in informal learning.
- Have a keen interest in sharing knowledge with visitors.
- Availability to work a flexible schedule (weekends and holiday scheduling are required).
- Valid driver’s license and ability to provide own transportation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- An enthusiastic and dynamic personality that engages guests.
- A professional demeanor with highly developed interpersonal skills.
- Ability to function as part of a team.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to maintain accurate records, databases, and documents, and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to do programmatic work and research offsite (computer, web access).
- Proficient in MS Office programs (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Ability to walk up to 5 miles/day, and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors under a variety of conditions, including hot and cold temperatures, high humidity and wet weather.
- Current child First Aid/CPR training is a plus.
Special Information: Seasonal Full-time and Part-time positions are available, both lasting March 18 – October 31, 2019. Please specify which employment type you prefer in your application.