Summer Camp Lead
Job Summary: Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens seeks a full-time, seasonal Summer Camp Lead to guide Summer Camp Counselors and age-appropriate educational programming, games, crafts, and other recreational activities. Program topics will focus on gardening, nature, art, plants, interactions between living organisms, environmental awareness, water, and more.
Under the direction of the Youth Program Coordinator:
- Oversees the supervision of camp counselors and daily operations of summer camps.
- Trains Summer Camp Counselors on daily camp operations, safety procedures and camp programs.
- Develops, implements, and delivers creative and fun mission-based camp activities.
- Serves as a role model and maintains the health, safety, and welfare of children and camp counselors.
- Organizes and maintains all camp equipment, supplies, and camp areas.
- Works cooperatively with other education staff and the Youth Program Coordinator.
- Documents all accidents, injuries, incidents, complaints, and problems.
- Demonstrates a focus on serving the camps and guests of the Conservatory, maintaining the highest standards of customer service.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School degree required, 1-4 years of higher education (college) with focus in horticulture, natural resources, environmental education, interpretive education, or early childhood development is preferred.
- 2 years’ experience working with children of all ages.
- Experience with the daily organization of a Summer Camp.
- Proficiency in the techniques of informal learning and a keen interest in sharing knowledge with visitors.
- Availability to work a flexible schedule (weekends and holiday scheduling sometimes required).
- Valid driver’s license and ability to provide own transportation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An enthusiastic and dynamic personality that engages campers.
- A professional demeanor with highly developed interpersonal skills.
- Ability to function as part of a team.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Proficient in MS Office programs (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Ability to walk up to 5 miles/day, and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
- Current child First Aid/CPR training is a plus.
- Proficient organization skills are a must.